Daylight Halogens

Is there such a thing as a daylight halogen bulb? I'm doing some painting in a bit and it's a lot easier to find tripod stand halogen lights than it tubes...

Reply to
Doki

no, halogen filament lamp spectrum is a long way from daylight at

3000K. Screwfix etc do portable fl site lights, or shop fittings out of skips make effective site lights, though they are fragile. Twin 8' fittings are/were my favourite for photography.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In TV lighting you use a blue filter to get the correct colour temperature.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The thing with painting is that some colours will look fine under artificial light but be shown as a poor match under daylight, so you need the right spectrum. Had a chat with a sprayer since posting and apparently you can get away with normal bulbs as I'm doing the whole car so there's no match to worry about...

Reply to
Doki

Well halogen is continuous spectrum but simply the wrong colour temperature, and using a 1/2 blue or so simply corrects the CT to daylight. But of course daylight varies by quite a bit...

As long as the source is continuous spectrum you should be able to match ok as the eye compensates for CT. What you mustn't use is ordinary fluorescents as things can look fine under that but terrible in daylight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OTOH some colour matches look fine and then you get them under sodium lamps and they look shocking... Anyway, the important thing now I've realised CT is unimportant is sorting out decent lighting around the place...

Reply to
Doki

Old sodium lighting is damn near a spot frequency and I doubt any paint repair will look exactly the same as the original under it.

Here's an interesting experiment if you can get hold of an old sodium lamp. Put it alongside your monitor and match the colour in Photoshop, etc. Then ask someone else if it's a good match. They'll likely disagree. Get them to match it and you'll likely say they're wrong. And so on. It sort of proves we all see colours differently, but are educated to call them by the same names.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)