Dawn till dusk lantern Led bulbs.

Does anyone have any idea if an LED bulb will work in a dawn till dusk lantern?

Light is off during the day. Light lights at about 1/3 brightness at dusk and stays that way unless triggered by the motion sensor at which point it is fully lit. Googled this to death and cannot find an answer. Contacted numerous led bulb shops via email but all seam to forget to read the question and point me to an led that is obviously useless for the situation.

Reply to
awesometoday

Impossible to say without knowing how the existing lamp dims. There are LEDs which dim with a standard (trailing edge) mains dimmer these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe the answer is something as simple as two bulbs, on when its dark, the dimmer of the two, the other more like a flood is triggered by the pir? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A truly dimmable one ought to, but a bog standard one will not.

The bog standard ones will draw ever more current to deliver near constant light output when you try to dim them until something breaks.

Reply to
Martin Brown

depends on the LED's PSU type, the dimming method and the PIR.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I would give up - it is an oddity that never made it to mass market. Unfortunately I can only suggest you replace it with 2 fittings - a Dusk to Dawn lamp and a PIR Flood.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Not that odd, I bought a combined PIR/dusk sensor from screwfix about ten years ago, IIRC it specified incandescent lamp only for the dusk-to-dawn output which I presumed was half-wave rectified while the PIR output was full mains ... anyway UV weakened the plastic lens and water got in and killed it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There are other ways too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Don't know if this would work with a dimmer: use a dimmable LED set on a dimmer to the level you want. Use the PIR to bypass the dimmer, i.e. the PIR, when on, puts full voltage onto the output of the dimmer. If this would kill the dimmer it could be an expensive experiment.

Reply to
PeterC