Dawn / dusk PIR with override?

Hi all,

Anyone recommend a stand alone, external, dusk to dawn overridable PIR, suitable for switching an LED floodlight (ideally in black) please?

It might be handy that it also is easy to mask to prevent inappropriate triggering. It doesn't need to be 'long range' if that matters (~5m).

I know there are loads out there but few come with personal recommendation from the experienced members of this panel. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I bought one of the ones Lidl were selling a week or two ago, and it seems ok. Don't know whether they've got any left. It has 3 adjustment knobs for range, light level at which it triggers and time on, once triggered.

By over-ridable, do you mean the ability to force the light on when it otherwise wouldn't be? If so, this is easily achieved by using an extra core in your supply cable. So you'd have the usual permanent live, neutral and earth for automatic operation, plus a switched live which you'd connect to the terminal which feeds the lamp.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The 20 watt one I got from

has performed well. Was lacking a proper earth terminal though

Reply to
stuart noble

I'll have a look.

That's good, many only have two (no sensitivity / range control).

Yes. ;-)

Understood, however, some of the 'overridable' ones resume their automatic role on the next cycle, handy if you have left one on by mistake (as we have often done in the back garden).

I'll probably use your suggestion if I can find what I want so thanks. ;-)

OOI, were there any make / model markings on the unit you bought please Roger or was it their own brand (Silverline is it, or is that Aldi)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thanks for that but it was just the sensor bit I was looking for in this case. I want to put the floodlight as horizontally (so the light beam is vertical) as I can as quite high up so I don't spill too much light. This would mean the PIR sensor on the lamps with built in PIR sensors may not be pointing in the right direction (hence the need for an external one).

I've seen quite a few reviews suggesting a '20W' lamp only being (drawing) 10W though (and similar for other supposed values).

Again, something that seems to be fairly common for these things. Either the earth wire cut off inside the unit or it just not attached anywhere. One on Youtube had the earth ring held down with some hot-melt glue! ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m