Dates for Part P?

I know Part P "comes into effect" on January 1 but can someone clarify what this actually means... eg if I start rewiring a house before January 1 (ie very shortly, which is my intention) and it's not going to be complete by then, do I have to rush off to the council on 2 Jan and put in a building regs notice?

If not, how long I have I got to complete the project, and would I need some form of proof (if so what?) as to when I started the work?

(Sorry I know this has been covered here before but I can't find it amidst the plethora a Part P posts!)

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Well, quite. No one prior to Jan 1st will have proof of when they started the work. So it seems to me that unless it can be shown that the work was done after Jan 1st, then there's no problem. I shall be changing various arrangements in my kitchen in December - doesn't really bother me if I'm not done by January (from a legal point of view, that is! I'd just as soon get the work done as quickly as possible).

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

There are transiti "(6) In relation to building work of a description added to Schedule 2A by regulation 2(10) (installation of fixed low or extra-low voltage electrical installations in dwellings) where the contract for the work was entered into before 1st January 2005 and the work was completed before 1st April 2005, the principal Regulations shall continue to apply to that building work as if the amendments made by regulation 2(8) had not been made."

So you only have to make a contract with yourself (is that possible?) before 1st Jan. and finish the work before 1st April and you'll be OK.

[1]
Andy Wade

This implies an awful lot of common sense on the part of the authorities. Best bet is to take a photo of the work started, then put it in an envelope, seal it such that one would have to rip it to open, then post either to yourself or your solicitor BUT don't open it when it arrives.

Reply to
Mike

One should probably have a cyanide capsule fitted by the dentist just in case the BCO comes round to check.

They have ways of making you talk :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes

No

He gets the capsule !!

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for that. As far as I am aware, you can't make a contract with yourself, or not one that would bear much examination anyway. Just get one of your relatives to contract you to do the work. They don't have to own the house.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Or alternatively, post an empty unsealed envelope to yourself, then when it arrives store it safely. Once you start your work next year, take a photo and put it in the envelope and seal it.

Reply to
Googolplex

authorities.

..and have a photo with a date stamp on it.

Reply to
IMM

authorities.

Hmm yeah. Okay it has to go to your solicitor to be believed then.

Reply to
Mike

Or buy old coloured cable right now.

Reply to
IMM

What a performance !

By the time all that's done, it would be cheaper to do a building notice and pay for an inspection, probably.

Reply to
Andy Hall

More importantly, doing it yourself with a building notice and paying for the inspection will still work out cheaper than paying some sparky who is "licensed" to do the work purely on the basis of a fee, and not on an assessment of their skills. Plus you have the added advantage of knowing what's there and that you did it properly.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Problem for now will be most building control departments will have little idea of good practice in electrical work and will want a 'professional opinion'. They should pay for this if they want it but time and time again (on other issues) they try to make out it's your responsibility.

Reply to
Mike