Dang! Bad timing.

Currently in Copenhagen about 400yds from this engine, and it's not running while we're here. Bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger.... :-( Just have to come back I guess.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Have a virtual wander around it

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

*makes mental note to go see this*

Thanks for the link. Higher res one here:

It sounds like they start it with compressed air - is that right?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Dunno but isn't that the usual method with big engines?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

I've no idea, 'tis why I asked. Thanks for posting the link. I see they run it for five minutes twice a month - guess that's the greenies at work again (plus the cost of fuel!)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

When they run it, does it just tick over, or do they have a load on it to absorb some of the power?

Reply to
GB

I mean all of the power, except that used up internally.

Reply to
GB

En el artículo , GB escribió:

I can't tell from the video. Maybe the short runs are because it's unloaded. Their web page says it was last used for emergency power generation in 2003.

"where the amazed public gape at the 22,500 powerful horses unfolding in an inferno of engine roars and pleasant-smelling diesel fumes"

Pleasant-smelling. Um, ok, whatever. :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

You can't beat old technology though:

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Woo bloody hoo!! Turns out they're having a special start up today!!

Apparently you can pay about 2,500 Danish Krone for a special start up. (About £260). Sounds like the perfect birthday present. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+