Danfoss TRVs

Hi all,

I've recently decided to change my manual radiator valves to TRVs.

A friend of mine has been trying to convince me to buy Danfoss thermostats because they're good quality. Looking at

I can see that they're not too cheap though. I want to be sure that I don't pay for TRVs more than I have to. Aren't they all more or less the same?

Regards, Art

Reply to
lagrange

No they aren't. It's a question of how long they work, and if replacement thermostat heads are available when they stop working, or if you have to replace the whole valve.

I was going to suggest Dryton TRV4's, but I see they're even more expensive. Dryton still supply replacement heads for valves they havn't made for 15-20 years. I bought my TRV4's from a local independant plumbers merchant, and they were only £10 each in quantities of 5 or more, so it would be worth looking around for better prices.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My experience says they're worth the money. 'Shed' brands tend to have a much shorter life. But actually work ok. So it depends on your priorities.

I've had three sets of shed types and on changing them had also to alter the pipework even slightly to get them to fit - even from the same place the design seems to change. So for just that getting a premium make might be worth it, as none will last forever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My original Danfoss RAS Ds, cheapo Boss brand and more recent unbranded BES supply TRVs all seem to perform equally well. The original expensive and hard to obtain matching Danfoss lockshields all suffered O-ring failure, hence I dropped Danfoss. The replacement cheaper non Danfoss L/S valves have all been fine. Get a reference price from (say) BES and decide if you want to pay more.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Thanks for the tip. I browsed around and I can see that Danfoss TRVs are available for around =A38 each.

I also called the Danfoss hotline and they referred me to their website where they have all kinds of replacement sensors. They said that I don't have to replace the valves if they are compatible with the Danfoss sensors and if that is indeed the case then it's a click-on installation which I can carry out myself (saving cash on the plumber). That's something that could convince me to go for Danfoss.

Art

Reply to
lagrange

£8.79 from Screwfix
£11.39 for a pair with trv and chrome lockshield .
Stuart