Damp/wet spars in loft

Went up into the loft yesterday to retrieve Christmas decorations and found that the tops of the spars on the north facing pitch of the roof were damp/wet. If I touched the felt then water drops appeared.

The south facing pitch appeared to be dry.

Could it be condensation caused by the colder north facing tiles which might, possibly, still have snow on them? I increased the insulation quite significantly earlier in the year.

TIA

You've made the loft a lot colder (less heat escaping from below), making condensation more likely.

You need to ventilate the loft space better.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Maybe its a leak a cheap moisture meter makes it easy to find. warm air infiltrating or temp allow condensation which leads to mold the rot, if its only one area maybe its a leak

Reply to
ransley

The first thought was 'leak', possibly from one of the joints in the ridge tiles, but it's several spars that are wet on the faces that touch the felt.

probably condensation.

cold/no airflow.

put a vapour barrier om the celing, and check eaves vents

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher