Damp wall problem

After gutting and decorating our kitchen we're still getting damp problems that we thought we would have solved by sorting out the windows.

The kitchen floor is concrete which I suspect may be the cause of the problem as i suspect it replaced a previous wooden floor about 20 years ago. Is this 'rising damp' - i seem to have addressed gutters/pointing/windows. I can't see any evidence of a damp proofing treatment on this wall - would that be likely to solve the problem or is there anything else i should try first?

Other possibly relevant facts: It's a typical London late 19th C terrace with most floors suspended on brick pillars (though this floor is concrete as noted above) The room has a bay window in a south facing wall onto the garden. The damp affects the first 50 cm or so up from the floor on the wall facing the garden. It's worst in the bay (under the windows) but there is a slight problem to either side of the bay as well. The garden is paved with slabs. There is a concrete trench 10cm deep along the wall running to a drain. The ground level doesnt seem to have been raised. The windows and sills are now in good condition - filled, sealed and painted. The pointing is in reasonable condition - it's not new but we've patched any poor areas. Gutters are not leaking/dripping onto the wall.

Reply to
b33k34

I had a cavity full of rubbish in one house, this could be your issue. Its easy to check, just remove a brick and have a look in.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Not likely to be a cavity wall in a house of that age, I wouldn't have thought

David

Reply to
Lobster

Our walls dont have cavitys.....if they did we'd insulate them!

Reply to
Anthony James