Damp in walls

Can someone please help,

I've recently found some damp in an upstairs bedroom. The damp is well into the paster, but how can I tell if its bieng caused by interal codensations or if its penitrating from the outside.

Dave King Liverpool

Reply to
David King

Look at the outside for signs of pointing worse than areas which aren't damp, leaking gutters or downpipes, etc.

One way I heard is to stick aluminium foil over the area. If condensation forms on the room side, then the damp is condensation. If condensation forms on the wall side, then the damp is coming from the wall. I did try this once, but I couldn't get the aluminium foil to stay on the wall, which confirmed a damp problem, but was otherwise rather inconclusive! (I since learned it was a condensation problem; it was the coldest corner in a cold room, and the problem was solved when central heating installed.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , David King writes

Get some putty and make a 'sausage' with it. Form it into a ring a couple of inches in diameter. Stick it on the wall. Stick a 3 inch square of glass onto the putty. Leave overnight. If condensation forms on the wall side of the glass, the moisture is coming from the wall. If it forms on the outside of the glass it is coming from the room. If it forms on both sides - move.

J.

Reply to
John Rouse

I'll give it a go ta

cheers John

codensations

Reply to
David King

The plaster is wet, so this won't give any meaningful answer.

Is this a cavity wall?

Reply to
jerrybuilt