Damp Dilemma

There's an obvious damp problem in one on the rooms of my house.

Can anyone tell me if it's necessary to have the bricks injected with the damp-proofing stuff or if there is a paint-on solution that a plasterer could do for me for a fraction of the total price and then replaster?

Thanks, Ed.

Reply to
Ed_Zep

Damp advice from the faq:

dom

both those options are a waste of time.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Very helpful, as usual. Can the OP give a bit more info? Where is the room? Where in the room is the damp? Is it permanent or more obvious after wet weather?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In message , Ed_Zep writes

Where is it? Ground level? Ceiling level? interior wall? exterior wall? Do you have cavity or solid walls? Is it always damp?

I'd fix the cause of the problem rather than trying to mask it.

Reply to
bof

Thanks.

There are 3 very prominent patches of damp - two in the kitchen and one in the dining room, low down but extending up to about 3 feet. I don't see that they're particularly worse after a lot of rain (like today). They're permanent (till I get it sorted out).

Ed.

Reply to
Ed_Zep

I would like to do that but I live near the bottom of a hill and am wondering if it's a combination of that and a compromised DPC.

Reply to
Ed_Zep

In message , Ed_Zep writes

You'd like to do what? You need to quote the post you're replying to otherwise it makes no sense.

Reply to
bof

In message , Ed_Zep writes

Quote the post you're replying to, otherwise it makes no sense.

Reply to
bof

So ground floor then? Solid floor or boarded? Are all 3 on the same exterior wall? Are the kitchen patches on the same wall as the sink? Is it a brick wall, rendered, painted on the outside?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Hi. I was quoting your post:

"I'd fix the cause of the problem rather than trying to mask it. "

Reply to
Ed_Zep

In message , Ed_Zep writes

Hey, I wrote that. You were replied to my post, there was certainly no quoting.

Having looked at your headers it seems you're using the Google interface[1] to Usenet, probably the best thing to do is to start using a proper newsreader, otherwise, somewhere in the Google interface there's an option that allows you to quote the post you're replying to, if you quote context you're more likely to get useful responses to your posts.

[1] The Google interface to Usenet is pretty much as bad as it gets.
Reply to
bof

I had rising damp in a ground floor corner and under window of a victorian terrace with solid brick walls. Suspected that DPC laid in

1895 had been compromised. Hired the injection kit and injected 25l gunge 18 years ago. No damp since.
Reply to
colinstone

What did you do plaster wise?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, it is helpful to be aware there are reasons not to waste ones time and money on something that wont work. Are you having a stupid day today?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

With google, click 'show options' then 'reply' at the top, not the bottom reply.

Rising damp is a rarity, despite the many sales based on its diagnosis. Such patches are usually penetrating damp or condensation. I'd start by looking outside to see if you get water running down the wall in heavy rain, maybe due to a gutter problem etc.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Is this the one about that woman who sailed around the world?

How come she's an heroine with a multi million pound machine and all the accoutrements?

Show me a non original American that will dare shark infested waters carrying her hopes and her babies on a 50 mile trek with no radio never mind Sat Nav; on a used, patched innertube and I will show you an heroine.

Unfortunately, the only men or women doing that today on a regular basis are just illegal immigrants. (Who would want people capable of such activities living near them?)

Or were you referring to the incredible abilities of the US electorate to learn nothing? They have just reelected a proven imbecile as mayor of New Orleans. No sign of any hope of a future fix for the larger problem there*. (Not that I think the UK will fare better in some future election. Things might impove there if on the soundbites given to cabinet ministers and their oppo's, a background reminding us of their retirement funds was shown.)

(*It might be a valid argument the electorate of New Orleans had bette things to worry about other than their disenfanchisement. Boy am I going to look a silly sausage if it turns out this post is about the latest weather forecast for the UK.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Why is it arrogant to state what has been scientifically demonstrated?

Why, when the evidence seems fairly conclusive?

I do, quite often, but sometimes I cba and really its down to the OP to do a little more reading. I dont see much point spending time rewriting the same stuff over and over, and theres certainly no requirement to do so.

Its not because we disagreed, its because I though you were missing the rather obvious and not helping much. I'm sure we all do that on occasion.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Arrogant to state categorically that something as well established as dpc injection won't work. I'm no fan of that particular industry but you can't dismiss it out of hand. At the same time as saying what won't work, why don't you suggest something positive now and then? And don't call people who disagree with you stupid

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Hardly. It is possible to make posts on usenet with a news downloader and compiler that keeps the files on your computer, in a way that garbes the thread just as you can with Google.

However if you want to be a responsible poster the Google interface is as good as it gets if you prefer to read the thread online and attach your posts to it directly.

One hits the Options link in this sort of panel:

14 From: bof - view profile Not yet rated Date: Sat, May 20 2006 9:23 pm show options
Reply to
Weatherlawyer