Damn it! Angle Grinders!!!

Did you mean Bona?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

After much umming, aahing, and breaking of definite decisions, I have bought a Bosch GWS 850C.

(Sorry - can't see how to unpack the relevant bits of the Bosch site link.)

Comes with a diamond disc (not that important as I have three Screwfix ones) and a smart box. Strikes me that a decent box helps a lot with long term storage, keeping bits together, etc.

Advantages over the GWS6-115 were:

o Smooth start o More power (850W rather than 670W) o Constant electronic speed control o Overload protection o Compatible with the Bosch SDS mechanism (needs additional component to actually work)

Also - gave me excuse to actually visit a Toolstation. And what a pleasant experience. Easy to find and park, friendly, speedy service, in stock (and I had been able to check that online last night). Approx. £7 more than the GWS6-115.

Advantages over the cheapo - well start with much nicer feel in the hand.

Many thanks for all the contributions. I really had to think through what I wanted to achieve and how much I could pay. Still seems to be a decent value machine - everything appears well made and, so far, designed.

Silverline, and odd Toolstation connection: Seems that they are brothers

- I assume the main person in each business - hence the preponderance of Silverline branded products. Note: I didn't even think of buying anything with that brand.

Reply to
Rod

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

I hope so. :)

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

He's so bold...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I bought an electric saw - don't known what the proper name is, it has a base and the saw is mounted vertically above it and you lever it down through an angle to cut through your wood. Chop saw?

Anyway, I bought it specifically for cutting wood, and the damn wood won't fit under the blade!

Grrrr.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Probably:

John Rumm

How thick is the wood? Most mitre saws have a lock down button - are you sure you've released it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You need a bigger saw. Nothing to do with price

Reply to
stuart noble

Toolstation was set up by founder of Screwfix, sold Screwfix to B&Q owners Kingfisher and waited till his non compete clause expired.

Thought Silverline was brand offshoot of Sealey but dosen`t look like it, got a few Silverline handtools , they seem pretty good TBH

Adam Aglionby

I've found them a mixed bag TBH, some very good, some cheap & nasty. A lot of the Toolstation stuff is branded Silverline when it arrives but its not described as Silverline in the catalogue.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not sure if I have got even a single item branded Silverline, but when I have inspected them in shops, impressed I wasn't. But, as said, it seems that they are a very mixed bag.

Reply to
Rod

My feelings also. Some stuff is adequate, some a bit poor.

Reply to
John Rumm