Damn Axminster...

Having already got Screwfix and Isaac Lord, we now get a bloomin' Axminster as well:

Grand opening this Friday/Saturday (20/21 March).

Thank goodness I have to go to work to find Toolstation and Lidl round the corner... :-)

Reply to
Rod

Axminster and Isaac Lord sound more like carpets to me (or was it Cyril) Anyway it works both ways, Focus is a daft name for a DIY shed, I always expect it to be full of tellies.

Reply to
Graham.

Axminster Tools are based in Axminster, Devon, close to the Somerset border. Axminster is also the name of one of the two best known types of traditional English carpets; they were originally made in Axminster. The other well known type of traditional English carpet is Wilton; they were originally made in Wilton, Wiltshire.

As with blankets from Witney, shoes from Northampton and hats from Luton, these are traditional English industries that have almost died out as a result of cheap imports.

As for Cyril Lord, it was his carpet manufacturing business which first used the tufted process that eventually killed off most of the British carpet industry that still used traditional woven methods. His business was a high profile failure in 1968 after receiving a lot of financial support from successive governments, especially in Northern Ireland.

Reply to
Bruce

Something about carpets you can afford from Cyril Lord. Guess someone should open a tool shop in Wilton...

Reply to
Rod

True, but the names refer to a manufacturing method. Thus perfectly genuine Axminster carpets can (and are) made in Belguim.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The jingle went; "This is luxury you can afford by Cyril Lord!".

Anyone remember Brentford Nylons :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Oh, absolutely. They are as perfectly genuine as Somerset Brie. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Did you have to? ;)

Reply to
Clot

The French wouldn't have it...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And, even more unfortunately:

"Barratts, Barratts, come to Barratts, Barratts Liquor Mart, yeah"

Reply to
Rod

Don't go in with a credit card....

Such a tempting place.

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What credit card? (Already taken off me and put somewhere very safe. :-) )

Reply to
Rod

Nylons? Did they make sexy stockings then ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

And Rael Brook shirts.

And who remembers: Hadrian, Hadrian The deep gloss paint For a really professional finish, use Hadrian.

Reply to
Graham.

Brian Hayes presented a prog yesterday on R4 about the early days of commercial radio in the UK. Very nostalgic. Anyone remember The World of Melanie Parker?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I bet they have still got a sale on!

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Graham. writes

Vaguely. Probably another business that's gone to the wall.

And then there's Pepsodent (You'll wonder where the yellow went), Murraymints (Too good to hurry mints), the Esso Blee Dooler (nods off, dribbling)

Reply to
Peter Twydell

That's handy Harry, stick it in the oven!

Reply to
John Rumm

That even a man has cleaned? ;-)

Reply to