Damaged soil pipe - easy repair ?

Finally fitter the combined toilet & waste pipe to the back of the cloakroom toilet yesterday. As I was disassembling it, the flared lip on the ceramic pipe that comes out of the ground cracked, leaving about 60 degrees of the pipe flush (no pun intended) to the ground.

I managed to cope by getting an extension pipe, pushing that into the soil pipe, and then fitting the toilet outlet into that.

However, it got me thinking, is there any easy way to deal with this damage, like some form of sleeve ? Or is the proper job to break the old pipe out, and replace ... not easy in this case as it's a concrete floor.

Reply to
Jethro

The 'flared' glazed pipe end was only really necessary 'in the old days' when the downpipe from the toilet pan was cemented into the flare.

With modern plastic inserts it's superfluous. I'd just cut the entire flared top of the pipe off (being careful, of course, not to extend any cracks 'down' the pipe into the ground). Then just use a plastic insert with finned seal as you have done.

Reply to
Triffid

Triffid ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) wibbled on Monday 14 February 2011 10:41:

Totally agree.

A modern plastic soil pipe for a loo may not be anything more than a 110mm pipe near flush with the floor - more advanced installations may actually have a socket as mine do.

Point being, as Triffid says, the bog connectors seal to the inside of the pipe not the flange so no probs.

Bit of newspaper down the pipe (in a retrievable way) would advisable if cutting the rest of the flange off to stop pottery going down the drains.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Tim Watts writes

Newspaper in a carrier bag has been my approach in the past _and_ with a bit of string tied to the handles and secured to something, just in case.

Reply to
fred