Damaged gas meter cover

A certain member of my family has damaged the surface mounted gas meter cover box mounted on the side of the house reversing a car off the drive. It's one of those old white composite ones with a drop down door and the cover is quite badly damged at one corner. I'm pretty sure the meter inside is undusturbed - at least I can't smell gas! The backplate still seems securely fastened to the wall. Can you buy these at a builders merchants (Wickes, B&Q, etc) and fit these yourself or is there some obligation to contact the meter provider (British Gas) or the gas supplier (in my case, Powergen). If, on further inspection, I need to verify the meter/supply is undamaged who should I call and is there likely to be a charge for this. Many thanks.

Reply to
jhiker

If you can't smell gas I would suggest it is alright. But call National Grid (nee Transco - 0800 111 999) if your un-happy, but they will only make if safe by cutting you off.

Reply to
zaax

Have a look on

have spare doors Part No 13164 Door for built-in meter box with pins, lock and key

Just incase it might happen again on the page as above they also do steel doors and frames.

Regards Darren

Reply to
darren_forward

I bought 2 replacement covers (1 of each style) from Mitras composites who were very good, and still do them at

LampyDave