Damage to armoured cable - repair ?

Thanks for that.

Reply to
Osprey

I assume the armouring has been bonded.....

They would say that, wouldn't they?

That's unlikely to keep out the moisture. Seen too many fit for purpose but incorrectly applied u/g cable joints that have gone bang coz a jointer failed to prepare everything properly. You'd need to clean and roughen the surface of the pvc *and* most importantly degrease with carbon tetra chloride to have any chance of success.

I'd suggest Denso tape, let one of the contractors get his hands good and messy applying it! Insist, however, that they do it with you in attendance, and to your satisfaction. The cable should be wiped clean and the surface pvc roughened all around with a wire scratch brush or coarse emery cloth. If you don't, moisture will work it's way along the smooth surface of the pvc. Make sure the underside is cleaned and prepared properly!

You may be faced with that one day.

Tell them you will withhold payment unless the repair is carried out to your satisfaction. A roll of denso tape will only set them back a couple of quid. As I said, tell them you insist on being present when the work is done, and it must be to your satisfaction.

Reply to
The Wanderer

How about the rubber sleeve of an armoured gland pack that is sliced open longways, placed around the damaged part and then taped into position whilst the jointing compound set.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

SWA enters pillar at 90-degrees above ground and rises up inside the pillar. ... is the brick pillar hollow? ... does the cable exit the pillar to the lights?

(hindsight - run swa in pillars thro smooth bore flexible conduit, Twinwall).

... can you instead pull the cable from the light end, draw a rope & new swa in? If yes then fit a suitable ip junction box, 2 cw glands (can be buried if u/g pratley jn).

... can you sds the mortar with armeg brick chisel to remove a brick from the pillar? If yes then do same, higher cable entry provides more pillar side cable to work with.

Reply to
js.b1

I missed that specific point about proximity to wall. In that case, no, the plastic shell arrangement wouldn't be suitable, but the resin remains a good way to make a fix.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'd missed the point about the joint being so close to the wall.

Using resin would still be good, perhaps with some other container.

If this is all below ground, could you carefully remove a bit of brick from the wall to expose more cable on that side? Not to the extent to put in a shell, but perhaps another 20mm or so to give 30 and thus space for some other kind of mould.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think that that would be a pretty good solution as long as a way can be found to get the resin in there. Hole in the side I suppose.

Reply to
Andy Hall