Daft idea - Letterbox guard

Do you live in your own house or not? You can see what the dog gets up to. You can see what it had got up to when you weren't looking. You punish it for those things and it doesn't do them again. I've trained my cats not to kill birds, not to spray in the house, and not to chew the handles off carrier bags.

They didn't train it well enough. There are plenty of folk who have successfully trained vicious animals.

As long as it's big enough, and it doesn't obstruct the door opening. My front door for example opens against a wall, a large cage would stop it opening fully.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Or makes it impossible to level up the fishing rod sufficiently to hook the car keys off the table 3 metres away in the hall.

A few years back, we fell victim to this copycat crime that became popular with young teens countrywide due to some crime reporting programme on the telly revealing this technique to all and sundry.

Luckily, the perpetrators were doing this just for amusement since we found the car parked on the road outside our house with the keys left on its roof the following morning when we realised the car had been moved off the drive.

We reported the incident to the police who advised us to not leave keys on the hall table in future but also, to guard against forgetting such a no-brainer solution, to fit such a letterbox cover plate as an extra security measure which we did.

Needless to say, the missus still leaves the car keys on the hall table, much against my wishes. In this case the letterbox shield plate is an active security measure I'd not personally require.

Reply to
Johny B Good

I really don't understand people leaving keys lying about, it means you can never find the bloody things. Mine stay in my pocket at all times. If I put on different clothes the next day, I move the keys and phone to them.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

It doesn't work like that. You have to put them there when you come in, you might forget if you're carrying shopping and leave them on the kitchen worktop. Pocket is far better.

Yes that's an exception. I hide the keys if I'm going somewhere without a pocket.

Why have you written the same thing you wrote in the above paragraph?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

snipped for racist content

I hope someone makes a police complaint about some of the racist posts appearing in here and on a few UK groups these days.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Personally I'd rather the police be chasing down criminals who cause actual harm, not shouting bollocks into the general airspace.

There's a huge difference between the spoutings here and individually directed personal racist actions which may cause fear or material harm.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Years ago I locked us out of the house. Managed with two 8ft long garden canes strapped together, lying flat on the patio and poking them through the cat flap to hook the keys off the ring on the other side of the kitchen opposite the back door.

Reply to
bert

If anyone is concerned about fishing for keys, simply move the keys so they are out of sight of any doors.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Not everyone is blessed with a perfect memory.

Don't they have key cutters in Australia? Do you seriously only have one key?

Without a SUITABLE pocket, f*ck's sake it's like getting blood into a stone.

Pedantic fool.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

In Sydney NSW Australia the median house price is one million dollars AU.

Reply to
F Murtz

Whoops, old post.

Reply to