DAB reception

My Goodmans DAB worked fine in my old house in Cheshire - all stations loud & clear with no external aerial. Not so hot in Telford, where I may need an aerial. Any tips?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

External vertical dipole.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Get an FM radio. Better quality now most stations (other than Radio 3) have reduced the bits/channel so much.

Reply to
G&M

There is a body of opinion that the quality of digital radio transmissions over Freeview or Sky is above that of DAB, too.

Reply to
John Laird

I cannot receive DAB in Shropshire. I'm told the service is not available yet.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Alt.radio.digital is thataway>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reply to
tony sayer

Never mind opinion, it's a fact, the data rate is higher. The only problem is that with most freeview boxes you need a TV attached so you can tell what channel you're on, as they generally don't have displays.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Which direction is uk.usenet.pedants ?! I was trying to be helpful and was no more off-topic than others. Apologies if I've misunderstood your reply.

Reply to
John Laird

Where you can join in the great bitrate debate;)

Don't take it toooo seriously, this is the madhouse called noosenet after all!......

Reply to
tony sayer

Ah I see it's one of *those* issues ! Better or worse than rec.audio.opinion ?

What, you mean I can't believe everything I read here ?

Reply to
John Laird

transmissions

Hmm - a market opening perhaps ? Could kill off DAB once and for all while we're at it.

Reply to
G&M

Tim Mitchell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@tega.co.uk:

And an amplifier and speakers even if they have. And even then the delay means that they won't work with radios in other rooms if you move about - I do.

Get a bunch of cheap radios.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

If it's a portable radio, I very much doubt anyone would notice the difference in the ultimate sound quality. But they might well notice the lack of multi-path problems - and the better choice of stations, including those otherwise only on FM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That also requires an external aerial. And are their any portable versions available?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You pretty much require substantial ariels for a large part of the country for DTTV.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Pipe it round the house on CAT5 or similar then just pick it up off that with an amp and speaker. I did this before CAT5 was thought of...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, most of us have a TV, and a hi-fi in the same room. If portability is important and the DAB signal is poor, the OP is SOL...

Reply to
John Laird

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

I did this before CAT5 was thought of...

Wow! ;-)

mike

Reply to
mike ring

True - but this has to change before the analogue switchoff. And if they applied a turbo code across the radio channels which isn't a major overhead, these could be picked up with a much worse S/N ratio.

Reply to
G&M