d-i-y VR / hybrid exercise cycle?

Hi all,

We both like cycling for fun, transport, holidays (tandem / trailer / camping) and exercise but currently use (need) it more for exercise than anything else.

We have a fairly old but decent Tunturi magnetic trainer but the second console input / membrane has failed and they can't supply any more (and they were 30 quid as well). ;-(

I could probably rig up a cycle speedo so the Mrs could ensure she keeps up a constant speed and goes a 'known' distance and whilst she is happy with watching the TV at the same time, I fancy something more interactive.

Now I know you can buy VR trainer stands that allow you to use your own cycle and PC but they are quite expensive (even 'trade') and we are quite happy with the existing 'machine' (smooth, quiet, comfortable).

I've now found Nintendo do a cycle simulator for the Wii (Cyberbike) and whilst we don't yet have a Wii, I wouldn't mind getting one for the other exercise related stuff. However, I would only use the Cyberbike for it's sensors and at 100 quid that's a bit expensive.

I've also found this:

whilst not quite what I wanted may be easy to interface and give a different edge to the concept.

Ideally I'd like something that could be persuaded to provide some sort of output / feedback based on the virtual terrain (that I could make modulate the adjustable 'load') but even cycling a flat course from beginning to end might be better than the TV or staring at the wall for me.

Because I don't really know how these consoles work nor have any games I wonder if anyone could think how you could take say a Wii remote thing and say stick it in yer sock when cycling ... would that 'sense' such movement and could it be used on anything, even say a running game / exercise?

So, knowing you guys often come up with some interesting solutions ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I even considered using one if the Doom / Quake / UT mapping tools to make my own 'terrain' then adapt a joystick / mouse to provide the input. Cadence sensors for stopped, walk and run, left / right should easily be on a handle bar pot / switch. Not sure how I would persuade it to provide an output for gradient / load though. Audible tones could work as I think you could have a different sound effect for different surfaces (like when you walk on metal)? Silence = flat = no load, different tones = varying gradients etc.

Reply to
T i m