D-I-Y Electric shower death

Absolutely. A proper electrical engineer would have used brass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Monel, surely?

Reply to
Steve Firth

and if you immerse the lead in water it might just cool it enough for the lead to survive...

... and boil you a cup of tea ready by the time you get out the shower.

NT

note to any budding moron: dont even think about it.

Reply to
bigcat

The extra sadness is the stats will never reveal the problem, as there will be less than ever. How come?

Accident rates are slowly droppping as ancient installs get rewired - bear in mind there are still people using deteriorted 1950s installs around, mostly with the sockets replaced with square ones, but the rest as original. (Even in the 80s I saw a WW1 era install still in regular use.)

Part P slows this process to some extent, with no part P things would get replaced quicker, and the accident rate wuold fall further.

We actually need do nothing at all for the already exceptionally low death rates to continue to drop. They drop as people lose adaptors in favour in 4&6 way strips, get extra sockets installed, replace ancient unsafe kit as it dies and so on.

absolutely nothing is needed to improve safety, it will improve all by itself.

If we genuinely wanted to improve things we could go with:

type C or D mcbs as standard on lighting,

the elimination of bathroom crossbonding on already bonded bathroooms, ie soldered copper plumbed. (extra rewiring cost with no benefit)

and withdrawal of part p

NT

Reply to
bigcat

1/4 inch potentiometer spindles were once metal...
Reply to
Joe

That makes things _tighter_. The screws exert a force on the sides, and v.v. This force acts as a threadlock, which is what you need, rather than wire-clamping force which you can easily produce by tightening the screws up. You just don't care about sideways forces on the wire - they're not what's doing the clamping.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In the early 60s my parents moved into a Pub The fuse we found on the lighting circuit was a 4 inch nail I noticed it glowing which was what drew my attention

Reply to
BIG NIGE

My favorite candidate for the Darwin Award of 2005 has to be the ardent Liverpool supporter who hanged himself when his team was 0-3 down against AC Milan, not bothering to stay around to see Liverpool draw and then win on penalties.

Reply to
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}