D_I_Y American style!

Health and Safety American style!

Silo Demolition Sledgehammer Style

Peter Crosland

In message , Peter Crosland writes

Sheeeeesh. It must have been Darwin's day off.

Reply to
Bill

They need to get Fred Dibnah to show them how its done properly .

Reply to
ss

To quote one of the morons involved; "Holy Shit".

Reply to
Huge

My thoughts exactly.

How did he get away with that?

Reply to
Onetap

On Friday 26 April 2013 09:53 Peter Crosland wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Interesting failure mode - it did not do a Dibnah and fall over (like I was expecting and he probably was too).

How the f*ck did he get clear of the exploding concrete?

Reply to
Tim Watts

More simillar on here;

Note the approved redneck method, starting at 0:40.

Reply to
Onetap

I thought I saw another silo in the film, so hopefully Darwin struck lucky the next day.

So many ways to do that job safely......

Reply to
GB

They are all at it.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

Anybody know why they'd want to pull down what looks like a perfectly good silo, then have the job of disposing of all the bits?

Reply to
GB

Useless effin' cameraman.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Those were my thoughts Tim.

Reply to
Broadback

He fit right in, then.

Reply to
Huge

Hold up the weight with wooden supports as you take bits away. Set fire to the supports. Then run like mad when they burn through quicker than you expected, IIRC.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes indeed. Interestingly, you could see that it was essentially a gravity structure with very little strength in bending, unlike a proper British brick chimney. So when it finally gave way at the bottom a lot of it came straight down (and then out sideways), rather than toppling gracefully like a tree, which is probably what he expected to happen. The slats dropping vertically at an earlier stage should have been a give-away.

Reply to
newshound

I can't think of that many.

Explosives. Big chain round it pulled with a digger from a safe distance. Gas axe on the rings, while dangling from helicopter (starting from the top)

Couldn't do it with props and fire, and I wouldn't fancy working from the top and dropping those slats down.

Reply to
newshound

They could do something incredibly dully, like erect scaffolding and chipping bits away, starting from the top.

However, I had in mind just pushing/pulling it with a digger.

I can't quite see why props and fire would not work?

Reply to
GB

They probably would, I'd suspect the US farmers don't watch programmes about demolishing factory chimneys. I think they make it up as they go along.

Wikipedia says they're built of concrete staves, with the rings holding them together, like a stack of casks.

Onetap

Bloody lucky.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, they wouldn't, the whole structure is only one stave thick, much thinner than a brick chimney, and there's no bonding other than friction. See how some of the staves dropped when he took out the lower one. You would never be able to prop up the structure in the way Fred did with brick chimneys that were getting on for two feet thick at the base.

Reply to
newshound