Cyanoacryiate Bonding glue

How do you stop this glue from setting and blocking the out let hole. I've stood it up right, stood it upside down and it still sets in the out let. By the way the stop cap is on. The only way I know of unblocking it is to drill it out with a small drill bit. Any ideas.

Keith.

Reply to
keith_765

It reminds me of the crap joke about the Irishman that invented a really stong glue..he couldn't get the lid off the the tube.

I don't think there is any way of sealing the tube so that it can be re-used. I have had limited success inserting a pin into the tube before replacing the cap but it's a bit hit-n-miss as to whether the pin will come out again!

Our local pound shop sells tubes of superglue for 29p. I tend to buy a load of tubes then throw them away when the glue no longer comes out. Far less stressfull than faffing about trying to unseal an old tube.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Poundland sell cyanoacrylate in 2 sizes lots & lots of little tubes (not sure exactly how many - could be 12 or

15) or 3 x 10g bottles.

Not bought the smaller ones, but haven't had a problem with the larger bottles so long as you keep them upright. Brilliant value, I've seen the

10g bottles at £3+ elsewhere.
Reply to
OG

Rap the bottle hard, base down, on a hard surface, put the cap on, and keep it in the frig.

Reply to
Huge

Put the tube, outlet hole up, and squeeze to get the trapped glue out of the nozzle. Wipe with a tissue (very quickly) and put the top back on.

Works for me and I usually get a few years use from one tube/bottle.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , OG wrote

The health and safety bureaucrats at my place of work decided that the purchases of small tubes of super glue was to be forbidden. Instead we could order two litres tubs of the stuff because it was on their approved list.:) An accident with a small tube and you stick your fingers together - an accident with a large tub and you could have a whole body experience.

Reply to
Alan

I've had success with stood up, cap on. However I do ensure that there is no glue up the spout before puting the cap on. Most tubes have an quite an air gap use that air to force any of the glue out of the spout the tube also reforms enough to draw back a bit as well. Quickly wipe most of the excess of the outside and bung the cap on, quickly so your wiper doesn't stick...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Since superglue requires the absence of air to set have you tried leaving the cap off? It shouldn't set then.

Reply to
dennis

The air space is there to stop the glue setting... make sure it is still there before you cap it.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" wrote

I was under the impression that it was the moisture in the air that made it go off.

Reply to
Alan

That works. Ive used a couple of other methids. (i) use an extra removeable tip and soak in acetone (nail varnish remover) oivernight to clear that

(ii) After every use, blow the nozzle clear by squeezing the bottle upright to clear any glue, wipe with rag soaked in acetone, and put the ruddy cap on.

Those work for occasional use, but I use gallons of the stuff making toy planes, so I drill away when it gets manky and if I overdrill slip a nozzle on - you can buy spare nozzles at the model shops.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its actually bases in the water. Try mixing it with bicarbonate of soda for a larf...espceially thin CA.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It won't set if its dry but it needs the air excluded too. That's why tubes of glue are mostly air.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks to all who replied. Number (2)above seems to be the one. I'll try. blowing the nozzle clear via squeezing the bottle.

Reply to
keith_765

I managed to get huld of some capillary tube at a model fair. It's polythene tube less than a mm thick which not only makes precise application easy but you stick a pin in the end and it seals it. If it does get blocked, you simply cut a mm off the end.

Reply to
markzoom

It sets quicker if you spit on it. It was invented for holding battlefield wounds together so maybe it also has a place in first aid kits. I know someone who uses it when he cuts himself shaving. M.K..

Reply to
markzoom

Before I have a larf - and possibly end up with a contribution to the Humour FAQ - what is going to happen, and should I mix CA and expanding foam?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not IMHO. The medical stuff is a different formulation and there are health issues with using the workshop stuff on cuts. It's worth getting hold of the right sort.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's good in an emergency. I've used it to glue a pisce of tissue over a gash in lieu of a stitch or two. Healed up fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most CA will eat expanding foam in seconds. Polystyrene anyway

CA and bicarb reacats very quickly and gives off a bit of heat to form a sort of hard plastic foam. TYhin CA is the most amusing. It should smoke a bit. The fumes are acrid tho...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher