Cutting worktop (again)

Will that cut a worktop in one pass? I'd have thought not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What limitation are you thinking of?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was thinking the maximum depth of cut would be pretty close to the thickness of some worktops? Can't find a 6" saw on sale now to check, though - the miminim seems to be 170mm.

Given the cost of worktops, I'd feel inclined to borrow or hire a more suitable saw.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

45mm depth of cut? With a half decent blade it should sail through it. Good to have a slight overlap with the batten so that the base of the saw is aligned, and the motor is up to speed, before it starts cutting. An overlap at the far end ensures the blade stays parallel right to the end of the cut. Easy to veer off course at that point if you have short arms. Make sure the cable/plug isn't going to get caught during the cut. I've stood on the thing more than once and wondered why the hell it wasn't cutting. The batten will need to be thin enough to fit under the body of the saw if it's at max depth, and any clamps will have to allow the saw body to pass over them. C clamps with the handles downwards are usually ok. Have a trial run by cutting off less than you need. The only trouble I've had with chipping was where the laminate was brittle and not well stuck to the core. In that case, no saw/blade will give a clean cut.
Reply to
Stuart Noble

The saw does 46mm. But (going back to my initial post) you'll see that this stuff is 28mm, and cheap generic stuff. I still don't want to mess it up, mind...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah - right. Should be ok, then. I was thinking of 2" worktops.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)