Cutting up old DHW cylinder

Uninsulated copper cylinder (1969 vintage). Wife would like a couple of copper (anti-slug) plant pots out of it. Should I just drill a hole to get some snips started or is it worth digging the angle-drinder out?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

How much would a couple of big plastic pots cost? You might find that the old cylinder is worth more than that in scrap value. I got over £30 for mine.

Reply to
Roger Mills

No, you only need rings for anti-slug rings. They're frightfully expensive from the suppliers.

If you cut up the cylinder you'll get far more than the value of anti-slug rings (they DO work) and you'll still have the curved top and base to weigh in.

It was the way we first made the rings. By 'we' I mean 'he' and I didn't ask how he did it. However you do it it will be worth it. If your wife doesn't think the rings work you can still weigh them in.

They worked so well for us that eventually I wanted more and he bought some sheets of copper - much thinner than the cut-up cylinders - and it was still far cheaper than the rings from suppliers.

I'd say do it. I'll ask - don't go away ...

Right, he used an old wood chisel and mallet cut near the vertical seam and immediately under the top seam. Then he did the bottom seam, leaving a plain cylinder. then he used tinsnips or his electric shears to cut down the seam then the length of copper I wanted.

He says that if for any reason you want to clean the copper (the inside will be pretty nasty) with a wire brush you MUST use a mask because the verdigris/salts are unpleasant to your respiratory system.

You don't really need to clean it though, it would only be for cosmetic reasons and it will oxidise very quickly. It's surprising how much like red plastic pots they soon look, even the brand new pretty copper ones darken in a few days. I can only tell the difference by the thickness and weight.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Copper will tend to drag if you try to cut it with an angle grinder. Much better results from a jigsaw or sablre saw with metal cutting blade.

Reply to
John Stumbles

OT reply - never heard of these. Are they just copper rings around plants? Wifey would be interested as slugs eat many of her, - um, plant things :-)

Reply to
dave

Slugs can't travel (what's the word? - walk? - climb? - slither?) over copper for some reason...it's thought that they get a small electric shock, or maybe it causes them to melt, either way, it's like a cattle grid is to sheep, except the melting bit. and the electric shock.

Reply to
Phil L

...and the sheep.

How wide does the copper have to be? Would a few turns of 2.5mm earth wire do the job?

SWMBO has a slug problem with her plant things as well :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Apparently, it has to go slightly underground too, given that slugs have a tendency to do the same, although I can't see why bare copper wire wouldn't work wrapped around a plant pot or planter, but if the plant is in the soil, then it needs to be 'fenced in' so to speak, osters especially, as slugs and snails will travel miles to dine on their leaves :-p

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks for the full explanation - I have just been out with mallet and old wood chisel but have been unsuccesful in making any impression round the seam. Produced a lot of dents (and noise). Maybe my cylinder is too thin - still thinking... BTW no scrap dealers in our area now. We had a good local one (I used to buy electronic stuff from him) but he now runs a dressmaking material shop...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Thanks for the tip - will check what blades lurking in the cupboard.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

My initial response - but female to deal with here. Geo

Reply to
Geo

Or even Hostas? For those of us born beyond the sound of Bow Bells, 'Enry 'Iggins ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles