Cutting underfloor heating cable

I've purchased too long a length of underfloor heating cable and need to cut a few metres off the end. Assuming its a twin core cable, is it just a case of joining the two cores together at the point where its cut ? Any suggestions what I should use to join them ? BTW the cable is spaced as close together as it should be (100mm) and so cutting the excess is the only option. TIA

Reply to
aberdeen

Difficult to comment without knowing what you bought.

I suspect you can't cut it as you'll change its resistance and power rating (and may have problems making connections to the cut ends, not to mention that it might also be screened as a leakage protection).

You'll have to change the spacing to fit it all in.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Do not, under any circumstances, shorten a heating cable. This would reduce the circuit resistance and thus increase the heat dissipated per unit length. (Double whammy - more watts in fewer metres.) The cable would be over-run and the power per unit floor area would be higher than if you just fitted it all in by slightly reducing the spacing.

Manufacturers' repair kits are available for where accidental damage occurs, but as I said, *DO NOT CUT*!

This sounds like nonsense. If you only have a small amount of 'excess' a small reduction in spacing will easily absorb it and the increase in watts per sq. m. of floor area over your design value will probably be negligible.

Reply to
Andy Wade

forget cutting it. Space it closer, and if you're keen to reduce power per area use a dropper or transformer

NT