Cutting the Fuse Seal?

It wasn't new work, but an urgent need to restore supplies after a thunderstorm, which led to the earth fault.

The board man refused to replace the fuse again (I don't blame him) until we'd found and isolated the fault.

Reply to
<me9

Our installation dept (in those days) always went the next size up in conductor sizes than were necessary.

More recently I had cause to query why they had 2.5mm² backed up with a 300a fuse. They produced figures to support the use (short circuit protection only) as it was protected downstream by 15a fuses IIRC.

Reply to
<me9

The burnt cable was probably more edible than the chicken. :-)

Reply to
Matt

Oh, do they serve chicken now? :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Eeek - what sort of 300 A fuse would protect 2.5 mm^2? - certainly not an ordinary BS 88 gG fuse, regardless of the fault level. A very fast 'semiconductor' fuse might, but it wouldn't take much length of 2.5 mm^2 to attenuate the fault level to the point where the cable would protect the fuse...

Or did you mean a 30 A fuse (which would be OK)?

Reply to
Andy Wade