Cutting SS braid.

Bought a kit of parts to make up some custom brake hoses for the rear disc brake conversion to my SD1. They are made by Goodridge. The inners are thick plastic pipe with a SS braid. The fittings compression types.

I thought the inner would slide out so the outer and inner could be trimmed easily - but it appears not, unless I'm missing something. So how do I trim the outer about 1/2" back? Teasing it out and clipping each strand - as you might do with copper - is extremely time consuming.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tradition must be honoured.

Angle Grinder!

Reply to
Steve Walker

From an idle google ...

A Dremel?

then tidying up?

Adrian C

I have not used Goodridge braided brake hose but have done this with another brand. I found that if you push both end of the braid towards the centre it bunches up and expands. This allows the inner hose to be pulled out with ease. Unless Goodridge bond the braid to the hose in some way it should do the same. The SS braid is still not easy to cut neatly mind.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Right - I'll have a go at this. I did try it before but perhaps didn't use enough force.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

hoses the inner has to protrude as it takes the olive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Seems my guess at how these work is wrong - the braid goes over the outside of the olive and the nut clamps onto that. Makes it rather easier. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If I recall correctly these are brake pipes. Rather important that you clarify the correct method of assembly with the manufacturer for your sake if not for other road users!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I've never seen one like that. Every braided hose I've seen, every one in the two doorstep-sized tech manuals I have here (Aeroquip, and RAF) has a simple straight cut across the end.

Quick way to do it is to slip some unglued heatshrink over the end, shrink it and then use a fine hacksaw - then remove the heatshrink. Otherwise a Dremel disk

The best way to fit hoses like this is to buy them from Moquip, not to make your own with Aeroquip hose. That is easier, no more expensive and best of all you can use Moquip's hose with the clear PVC overliner. Stainless braid brake hoses, especially bare, have no place on a road car - they're too prone to failure, compared to rubber. An overliner does reduce a lot of the impact damage trouble.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thank you very much for your help.

Reply to