cutting soil pipe

... and a special BIG thankyou to Blueyonder who have probably the crappest news server in the virtual world. Sorry for double posting, Richard

Reply to
Frisket

Knew this wasn't going to be easy ;-) The existing pan outlet points straight back to the wall almost at floor level. The new one is higher but, because its close coupled it's closer to the wall. I've got an elbow that'll drop straight down onto the soil pipe but I need to turn the soil pipe entry to the top. Just to make things interesting the soil pipe is 3" (like drain pipe) it comes up from the ground floor, turns 90 degrees to the right outside on the landing (it's boxed in), goes along the back wall of the toilet out the other side then naffs off through the wall and up into the air to roof height. The fitting where the pan joins the stack is like a swept "T". Hope that's clearer - ish TIA, Richard

Reply to
Frisket

Ah Haaaaaa !!!! Now I'm with you.

I take it that the original plumber has used 82 mm and not 3 inch Soil Pipe ?

This may work if you take your time.

A kettle of boiling water and a narrow bladed wood chisel will be needed for this technique.

Slowly pour the boiling water ( keep the kettle boiling for as long as possible before pouring it ) over one of the seams between the existing branch and pipework, then start to push the chisel in between the joint until you can break the seal. I've also done the same thing with a hot air paint stripper gun.

The point is to soften the pipe as much as possible to make it easy to pull apart, and the technique with the boiling water or hot air gun works well.

Once you can break the seal on the joints, then it is just a case of turning the existing branch through ninety degrees until it points toward the ceiling, and get a "P" to "S" Trap conversion fitting from the DIY Store.

Hope this is of some help. And remember that the soil pipe and cement (glue) is not really meant to take boiling water, or any high heat, for long periods of time, so it softens enough to pull apart quite easily.

Reply to
BigWallop

Whoo-hoo! Thank goodness for that - it's true a pictures worth a thousand postings but we got there in the end ;-) I'll give this method a try at the weekend and let you know how I get on. Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Frisket