cutting slate paving slabs

Hi, we're laying a patio with solid stone slabs sqaure /rectangular which have come supplied roughly bevelled at the edges.

Cutting the slabs to a curve for one side of the patio gives a straight clean edge which doesn't really match the "quarried look" of the uncut slabs.

Is there any way to give them a rougher looking edge -after cutting ?

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers Chris

Reply to
chris

That's difficult because slate is laminar.

You could try cutting slightly over size and then roughing the edges with various tools.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Agreed, in fact don't they do it that way at the quarry now days - one reason why 'natural' looking quarry slate is expencive.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Slate is soft and easy to work but will break/split if worked the wrong way. Always work along the length of the piece at right angles to the laminations or grain.

The ideal tool would be one of the old spokeshaves. or even an old carving knife held firmly in both hands. Even a stanley knife used to whittle the edge away will be effective but requiring more pressure than a wide blade.

Reply to
EricP

Chip away with a bolster and chisel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for all the replies - we'll have a go with the bolster and chisel - luckily there's not many which need doing

Reply to
chris

Did he say slate???

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yep :)

Reply to
EricP

I've just seen it - in the subject line. in the body it's just 'stones'.

My mistake - but understandable, I think :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher