Cutting slabs - follow-up.

No you are missing the point, you tried to compare a Skoda without realising that these days they are to all intent and purpose a badged VW, you then tried to use old jokes to do the same without realising that at the time the jokes were current Skdoa were very well regarded within the motor sport world and that all the jokes did then (and do know) is show the ignorance of those who repeat the jokes.

Yes, ignorant people exist in the entertainment world as well in on uk.diy, if that was you point you well and truly hit your own head with your own hammer!

Correctly maintained Skodas, even before the take over by VW, didn't break-down, so in that respect your point does have validity, anything not used correctly, miss used or ill-maintained will break...

No but unlike you, I suspect, have worked on them, driven them and do know how well they are (and were) made and what their true performance is (and was).

Reply to
:Jerry:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:51:16 +0100, ":Jerry:" mused:

I think this is great. Lots of points being missed, keep it up fellas. :)

Reply to
Lurch

Don't be silly. I know perfectly well that this is a badged VW.

Not really. I don't care how the motor sport world regards their products, because motor sports bore me to tears.

It isn't an issue of ignorance when it's perfectly clear that the illustration of the Skoda was because of its reputation in jokes. For the purpose, there doesn't need to be any basis in fact.

Even a Skoda?

Oh good grief.......

Reply to
Andy Hall

One of the best cars I ever had was my 1995 Skoda Felicia: bought new for £6800 (list price) and sold to another Skoda dealer for £4000 cash three years later. Warranty work, one wiper blade replaced (rivet snapped). Since the VW takeover they are mighty good cars but if people want to spend loads more to get the same mechanicals with an Audi badge more fool them.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

What's the betting that Andy drives an Audi?!... :~)

Reply to
:Jerry:

Pay attention. He drives two Landies

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Lada might have been a better bet. Same jokes, but more accurate. Skoda have been around for over a century producing a lot more than cars. I guess their business plan can't have been that bad.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No.... have done in the past.

I don't find cars interesting in the least. They are a means to get people and goods from A to B and that's it as far as I'm concerned. Even the 911 I had for a while did nothing for me - I think they are boring.

As a result, I think that cars can be the object of fun. It's made all the more amusing when people try to defend thm on whatever basis.

Reply to
Andy Hall

So he says, quite frankly I'm starting to think that he is no different to Drivel - except he read the spec; sheets rather than the marketing bumf...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Ah, so I was sort of correct...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Would appear to have been a bad choice for the intended use

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Whatever. That degree of accuracy is unnecessary for joke purposes. There are Skoda jokes and that's all that's required.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Would you like photos? They are the same as others and not all that interesting. Like other cars, five wheels, a box, steering wheel, brakes, gearbox and an engine.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Keep digging Andy, there are also jokes about people having to dress in yellow when using their DeWalt tools...

A joke that is factually incorrect only make fun of one person, the idiot telling it...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Not really. It just happened to be a reasonable car available on short delivery when I needed one quickly. I think the one after was a BMW of some kind and then a Land Rover after that. The only appeal of the LR is that it is large enough for a lot more items and I can sit above the height of much of the rest of the traffic.

Reply to
Andy Hall

OK for one person and minimal goods but that's about it. At the time that was the profile of use.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They cost more so they must be better

Reply to
Tony Bryer

That's interesting. You seem to be saying that a car can be suitable for a particular profile of use, but a tool can't.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

So you did drive an Audi but not really, yes that's as clear as mud...

Have you driven an Audi - yes or no? Have you owned an Audi - yes or no?

Reply to
:Jerry:

The last time I looked at a 911 was good for two adults, of course if you are grossly over weight...

Reply to
:Jerry: