cutting skirting with mitre saw

I am thinking of buying an electric mitre saw in order to make mitre cuts in skirting boards, which are approx 100mm high. What's the best way to make the cut - do you stand the skirting board vertically and pivot the blade to the 45 degree position, keeping the blade in the vertical plane, or lie the skirting board flat and incline the blade to make a 45 degree bevel cut?

The other application of the tool would be to cross-cut wooden flooring planks (engineered or solid, typically 130 mm wide x 15 mm thick).

Over time, I will lay wooden flooring and install skirting boards in around 4 rooms. The saws available range in price by a factor of 20 twenty or so. Any recommendations of which saw to buy for this application, within a budget of around 150 pounds?

thanks

Julian

Reply to
noos999

The latter

I have one of these

well pleased with it. I'd buy another if it went missing.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Cut it in the flat plane position.

ps also purchase an Angle finder as not all corners are true,other than that profiling is the best technique

Reply to
George

The former is an easier cut, and certainly easier to mark and measure, but 100mm is probably too high for most mitre saws. I hate using the 45 deg tilt

Looks pretty useful and, at 18kgs, not too heavy to cart about.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Unless you get a saw with a very big blade (a Makita LS1214 would do it!), then the latter is usually the only option. You only need worry about the external corners as the internal ones ought to be scribed instead.

Some saws don't make using the bevel cut accurately that easy, since they lack an accurate scale. Setting the angle using a angle divider or carpenters bevel gauge usually helps.

All bar the smallest will do that without too much difficulty.

Reply to
John Rumm

well pleased with it. I'd buy another if it went missing.

I have the Wickes equivalent of one of these

which I find perfectly adequate for skirting board up to 4" high. Light, portable, no electricity needed . . .

Reply to
Roger Mills

> well pleased with it. I'd buy another if it went missing.

These are useless at cutting straight down a 4" piece of skirting...you get half way and the blade starts wandering of the mark.

Reply to
George

Not in my experience! Maybe they need a bit more skill than I realised.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The blade is too fine and too flexible. You get a nice cut on small, delicate mouldings but not ideal for skirting

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Correct.

Reply to
George

these

I find

I have tried something similar in the past (I think it was

. But I found that the blade wore out very quickly. Also I found that if I clamped the workpiece tightly (using G-clamps rather than the clamp that comes with the saw), it needed a lot of force to move the saw blade back and forth. Probably incompetence on my part!

thanks

Julian

Reply to
noos999