Cutting sandstone patio slabs.

I had tried both angle grinder with carborundum disks (wore em out in seconds) and chipping with a cold chisel (worked, but not on long thin bits: They always cracked across) and so decided to hire an angle grinder with diamond blade.

What a difference!

I hired it for a day, but did the job in just over an hour, cuttng all te awkward bits around edges and steps in that time.

Like a knife through butter.

Cost me £17.92 and saved a whole load of broken slabs. I even cut down some other broken ones to make new smaller ones.

Only problem is the cut is too clean. Still a couple of minutes of distressing with teh cold chisle solved that :-)

Just passing this on to anyine who is doing similar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Once you have used one with a diamond disc, the normal abrasive ones do seem kind of pointless !

Reply to
John Rumm

Agreed, its like driving a mini metro then getting in a ferrari. They do however make great frisbee`s.

Reply to
John Woodhall

Hi,

How thick is a diamond cutting disk? Anyone tried one of these on wood?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

3 - 4mm or so....

Only used one on wood indirectly (i.e. it was the bit of scrap under the slab being cut!) - it will create smoke, heat, wear out the disc faster and do a few other things... cutting the wood in any timely fashion not being one of them ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

OK, I've had reasonable results cutting wood with a thin metal cutting disc where access is limited, so I'll stick to that...

(Eg cutting through the edge of plywood floor where it runs under a partition wall, anyone know another way of doing it?)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

One of those electric knives on steroids?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You can get special wood cutting discs, they basically have a loop of chainsaw chain round the perimeter. They are designed for rapid cutting of wood and sculpting eyc. Axminster do them.

Reciprocating saw with a long blade, biscuit jointer perhaps.

Reply to
John Rumm

They're for carving not cutting. If you try and cut with them, expect kickbacks.

I'll not use the chainsaw sort - the solid Arbortech disks are much safer.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Angle grinder will do it, but use a carborundum disc or (shudder) mount up a rotary saw blade on the end of a drill.

Yes, its lethal so watch out.

However I used this to cut a plastic vertical soil pipe from inside where it was below floor level, successfully.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks, an Arbortech Tuff Cut looks just the thing to use, probably good for trimming skirting and door frames too.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C