Cutting porcelein?

I've just bought a bathroom suite and found that the pedestal for the basin is closed at the bottom: i.e. designed for pipes that come through the wall from behind, not up from the floor. One way round this would be to cut a piece out of the bottom of the pedestal...but is this possible and what would I use?

I've tried a disc cutter on the old pedestal and it cuts it fine however I want to minimize the risk of the new pedestal shattering or shearing. Any recommendations?

TIA,

Ian

Reply to
Ian

The easy way: A Fein Multimaster, the right blade, and take the tool to the basin pedestal.

The hack way: A Plasplugs tile cutter, and trying to balance a heavy pedestal on the table of it. Cut a number of slots, no more than 10mm apart. Then score between the ends of the slots with a carbide tile scorer / glass cutter and snap the waste out with end nippers. Not pretty!

Reply to
dingbat

The message from "Ian" contains these words:

Aldi often have diamond blades for angle-grinders. Take it gently, nibble away and you'll do it easily.

Reply to
Guy King