Cutting polystyrene sheets

Hi I need to cut some round holes 2 inches in diameter in some polystyrene sheets which are 2 inches thick. What is the best way to do this without getting a snowstorm in my garage?

Thanks Ron

Reply to
Rocket Ron

polystyrene

As the sheet is 2" thick I'm assuming you are talking about expanded polystyrene rather than the solid. Use a normal 2" diameter hole saw - a cheap one will be fine - and turn it by hand.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Find a metal 2" ring(a vacume cleaner nozzle is about 2") heat it up on the gas flame and press through the poly.

:-)

Reply to
George

Depends on how many you have, and how much set-up you want to do.

A hot-wire cutter is still the best (although ventilate it well). You can hack a rough hole first with a breadknife. Depending on the cohesion of the granules and the cut quality you need, you could even use the breadknife, a jigsaw or a long knifeblade (a fresh multi-section snap-off is handy).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

blowlamp and some 2" metal pipe. heat pipe. Melt plastic with pipe

Another good one is to slowly drip acetone or cellulose thinners on the poly. That melts a nice hole through.

a gash soldering iron will also work.

As will about a guitar length of thin guitar string across a 12v battery in a bow...

A serrated kitchen knife is good too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do it outside the garage :-)