Cutting out kitchen worktop etc. for new freestanding oven?

Hi all I'm looking into getting a new gas oven to replace our old built- in (built-under?) one. The old one is 600mm wide, with a separate hob set into the worktop, directly above.

It seems that there are very few models suitable as a direct 'drop-in' replacement. In a way that suits me as I don't like built-in ovens particularly. So I'm contemplating getting a freestanding oven+hob instead.

But this means I'd have to cut out the worktop to a width of 600mm, in line with the sides of the current adjacent units, so that the new oven would fit.

The worktop goes back to a tiled wall, and this feels like a potentially tricky approach. eg. how would I align the (jigsaw?) cut to the edge of the cupboard below? how could I get the cut all the way back to the wall? etc. etc.

Any thoughts on this approach, or an alternative one? We *will* need a new worktop/kitchen at some point, but i don't want to do that for now. However a 'slightly bodgy but will do for now' solution might do for a while...

Thanks J^n

Reply to
jkn

If you intend to use a jigsaw, look for a flush cutting jigsaw blade like this example:

Nick Odell

IME you'd need to get the worktop out. I did this once by knocking a paint scraper sideways between the tiles and worktop. However there was no silicone in the joint, which made it a good deal easier :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Presumably there is a few mm clearance between the existing oven and the cupboards? Run the jigsaw (or even a circ saw) along a suitably aligned batten or piece of 18 mm sheet clamped firmly to the worktop and you should "miss" the cupboards. The final couple of inches (if using a jigsaw: a bit longer if using a circ saw) is what Fein / Bosch / Lidl multimaster type tools were invented for. Finish the cut edge with an edging strip.

Reply to
newshound

Oh, I am assuming that i'll be taking the oven out first - so yes, there will be plenty of room for the blade...

That's pretty much the way I was thinking of doing it. I'm a bit nervous about getting the batten aligned right, and keeping to it.

I also have one of the bosch multimaster type things; as you say, that's probably the thingto use for the last few inches.

Thanks J^n

Reply to
jkn

What dimensions will you have between the cupboards? What dimensions do the manufacturers instructions require either side of the gas oven?

Just to be sure you have enough space (it may specify zero space required, others several millimetres etc).

Reply to
js.b1