Cutting neat rectangular recesses in brick

This site was linked before -

Ferretygubbins

Armeg do one as a "brick removing chisel" - its slim enough to take out the mortar course round a brick.

Reply to
John Rumm

More a matter of not buying anything unless it'll be used a lot, or is essential. There was a little DIY tool place with two branches, but they closed one and their prices went up. There are one or two larger outfits in out-of-the-way places, but again they tend to be expensive. I suppose LIDL regard their tools (when they have any) as loss leaders.

Noted; I'll look into it.

Reply to
Windmill

Thank you; that saved me from having to hunt through a lot of old posts.

Reply to
Windmill

+1 to that: Did a few the other day and had forgotten how much easier and more successful that is than the old cold chisel approach.
Reply to
GMM

I've bought blades for my Lidl multi tool from ebay in the past (but never used it on masonry). Let us know how you get on.

Reply to
Fred

On the subject of proper wall chasers:

I bought the aldi "circular saw body" one which is ok until you need to get into a corner. To be fair it will do 99.5% of what I need it to do but I have often wondered about upgrading to an "angle grinder body" one, like the Sparky.

Machine mart used to sell them cheaper than Screwfix but stopped stocking them but after the recent thread about poor service at MM, perhaps that's not a bad thing.

Last time I looked, SF only had one review by a pro electrician complaining the noise sounded like it was on its last legs and claimed it was uncomfortable to hold, all of which put me off buying it. I see there is now a second, more positive review, and £20 off.

Does anyone here own one and what do you think?

(Sorry to hijack the thread)

Reply to
Fred

Yup, that is the one I have...

Motor on mine sounds fine (not surprisingly perhaps, rather like an angle grinder). The switch if fine, and power plenty adequate.

The handling is similar to bag pipes! But it does a good job - dust control (with an adequate vacuum) is very good (the outlet rotates as well so you can position it as required). You can use it with one disc or two. Changing the width of chase requires taking a disc off and juggling the supplied spacers.

Its fairly sturdy, but I would avoid dropping it from a height or stepping on it - the side walls of the casting are not massive)

No idea what it is like, but:

does look like it has better ergonomics...

Reply to
John Rumm