Cutting nails flush

Any ideas on the best method/tools to cut nails flush of the surface (MDF) they are protruding from? I can't hammer them in (the head is sandwiched between 2 layers of MDF, and it's the spiky bit that protrudes)

TIA

Greg

Reply to
Greg W

Any ideas on the best method/tools to cut nails flush of the surface (MDF) they are protruding from? I can't hammer them in (the head is sandwiched between 2 layers of MDF, and it's the spiky bit that protrudes)

TIA

Greg

Reply to
Greg W

Any ideas on the best method/tools to cut nails flush of the surface (MDF) they are protruding from? I can't hammer them in (the head is sandwiched between 2 layers of MDF, and it's the spiky bit that protrudes)

TIA

Greg

Reply to
Greg W

Dremel?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Dremel?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Dremel?

;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Yep, got one of those. Tried it with a metal circular saw thing, and with a cutting disc type thing (sorry for getting all technical there...), but that's making no impression on the nails.

Greg

Reply to
Greg W

Sand them down, however its impossible not to sand some of the surronding MDF. ANy cutting methow will leave scrapes where the cutter touched the MDF.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Oh well, angle grinder it is then. YKIMS

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

There's an echo in here....

;-)

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

That's what I ended up doing. Job done, thx.

Greg

Reply to
Greg W

Hi,

Angle grinder would do it, using the edge of a cutting blade. A few layers of PVC tape or even thin steel sheet with a hole in it would show when getting near to the surface of the MDF itself.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Depends how far they're protuding, I'd say: are we talking tiny panel pins sticking out by 1 mm, or 6-inch nails protruding by a couple of inches? What is the surface the nails are protruding from; ie what are you doing with it - painting it? If so you could just hammer them sideways to bury them and just fill with polyfilla before painting.

Or if there's only a tiny bit sticking out, use a file on them.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Dangle grinder.