Cutting Marble

I noticed some small Marble "slabs" in ASDA today- around 1/2" thick and 6" square. I'd like to cut one of these in half, to give two slabs 6" by around 3" to make a base for something. I'd also need to drill a few holes in it.

How could I cut it, polish the cut edge, and drill the holes, please.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Best way to cut it is with a wet diamond wheel tile cutter. With care, you'll get a very decent cut - but not quite as glossy as the normal polished surface. You can get that with something like T-Cut and hard work

- but I'm sure there will be a more suitable product, although not so easily obtainable. You could also try a metal polish like Brasso.

You can drill marble with an ordinary HSS drill on a slow speed. Lubricate/cool with water.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can cut it with an electric tile saw OK, but its a rough edge.

Take it down with a oarse emery grit and polish with finer..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

go gently when drilling, its weak stuff.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

diamond core drill is OK.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. Attacking it with an SDS isn't the best idea.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've cut a load of marble with mine and it gives a very good edge - if you take it slowly. After all the diamond coating is pretty fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)