cutting lamiated worktops

I need to cut a laminated worktop but I'm worried that the laminate will splinter and break as the saw blade cuts. Any tips on how to proceed welcome.

Reply to
neil leslie

Sharp Stanley knife - score the line before you cut.

Reply to
Roger Cain

Use a fine tooth blade, put a strip of adhesive tape along the cut line on the laminate side and cut with the circular saw on the back side of the worktop.

OR, Cut with gay abandon a few mm oversize and use a router against a straight edge to clean up to a perfect square edge. I do one cut with a thin steel ruler up against the fence which make the workpiece slightly oversize and then a final clean-up pass without the ruler. This second light cut will take off any possible burn marks that you might have from the first possibly heavier cut.

If you dont have a router bit long enough, do it in two passes at each depth.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

QVS do a cheap set of worktop router bits that did me proud for 3 joints (thats 6 cuts) £ 9.99 they were The jig was £ 39 and well worth it

Reply to
Vass