Cutting kitchen worktop that is already fixed in a kitchen.

Just moved house and need to do some short term modifications to the kitchen so that I can fit our cooker range into place. I will be Creating a space by removing existing worktop mounted hob (60 cm) and additional cupboard(30cm) to create a 90 cm space.

I need to cut the existing worktop so that it is neat and flush with this newly created space. What could be the best method?

(1) Jigsaw (probably the most useless tool ever invented and prone to wandering

(2) Circular saw

(3) Cut roughly to size and then finish neatly with a router.

(4) something else?

The problem is what to do when cutting up to the wall and under the tile on the wall that sits above the worktop.

Removing the worktop and then refitting it isn't an option.

Reply to
Rob Horton

This one is a no brainer.

ANGLE GRINDER!!

Reply to
Baz

Sounds like fun. Just need to remember to stop when I reach the wall. maybe I should try one of these?

Rob Horton

Of course an angle grinder is more fun but, when I had to do this, I cut most of the way with a circular saw then did the last bit with a jigsaw fitted with a worktop blade that cuts on the downstroke and is shaped to extend in front of the jigsaw so you can go all the way to the wall. (Of course, it still doesn't reach the wall properly so you have to be prepared to sort the last tiny bit out by hand or something more exotic that a cheapskate like me doesn't own)

Reply to
GMM

Best bit of Deconstruction Kit ever invented.

Reply to
Baz

Like a Fein Multimaster

Reply to
Andrew May

I would have thought a hand saw for the last section up to the tile and then a sharp chisel to remove the bit under the tile would work.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

imho 3.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A sequence of suitably-drilled holes and some shaped charges should do it, I reckon.

Reply to
Jules

Interesting. Was it this kind of thing?

guess it would also cut through the top of the base unit though. Maybe you could run it on a batten to reduce the depth of cut?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Just the job for a Bosch PMF180 or equivalent.

Reply to
<me9

That's the kind of jobbie - though mine wasn't such a good 'un.....

I was presuming the cut would be along the side of the base unit, but a sheet of something would indeed space it up a bit to avoid taking out the unit below if neccesary....

Reply to
GMM

I used to think that until I bought a Makita 4340. It will cut 38mm worktop without wandering & leave a square edge. "It's a jigsaw Jim, but not as we know it".

A jigsaw is a tool you have to pay a lot for to get one that functions.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What are the holes for?

Reply to
dennis

Prius owners. Small ones.

Reply to
Jules

Fein Multimaster or the Bosh copy of it will do this job perfectly.

Reply to
AlanD