Cutting inuslation

Hi

I have a bunch of 2" polyisocyanurate left over, so of course I need twice the amount of 1" for a job, and no, 2" won't do. Before going out and spending money, is there any practical way to slit 2" 2' wide boards down to 1"?

I have vague visions of a couple of round fish tins screwed to a board with knotted wire running round them, and it taking all day to feed a board through by hand. Any ideas?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

I have done narrow boards (up to 12") using an industrial band saw but nothing like 4'0".

I found two problems which may serve to discourage you.... the cut stuff bows to a significant arc and the dust is very keen to get everywhere including your lungs.

I meant to raise the bowing issue in front of the cognoscenti here but the moment passed.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Our builder modified some Celotex with a chainsaw. Mind you, we have never let him forget it :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In article , Tim Lamb writes

I've cut a small quantity of about 18" wide by 3" thick in half with a hand saw and was quite pleased with the results. I wouldn't want to do a lot though, this was about 4sqm in all. I don't recall any bowing, stuck it on the back of some wood panelling with frame sealant, foil to the warm side and pinned with a few screws from the back.

Reply to
fred

Think I'd try a large handsaw(*) but beware of the dust. A jig to guide the front and back of the saw might be useful, shallow tray sort of thing.

(*)Why do modern hand saws have such short blades? You can't make full use of your arms available movement.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , fred writes

I think mine was 100mm, double ally skinned Xtratherm if it matters. I assumed it was released stresses in the foam.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I reckon an ordinary wood saw is the best bet. It drops a lot of crumbs but they are big crumbs so fall to the floor rather than get in your lungs - well, IME, last weekend.

Using a piece of ply/board as a support should make cutting 1" strips possible,

Reply to
Tim Watts

Doesn't want 1" strips, wants 1" thick sheets from 2" thick...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Something is prodding my memory - is it that 3inch has two layers of glass fibres? So a slice through will keep one layer of that plus one of ally on each part - hence stopping the bowing. Whereas 2 inch you will destroy much of the GF layer.

Could be entirely wrong, but there is some reason for me to even raise it as a possibility...

Reply to
polygonum

e the amount of 1" for a job, and no, 2" won't do. Before going out and spe= nding money, is there any practical way to slit 2" 2' wide boards down to 1= "?

th knotted wire running round them, and it taking all day to feed a board t= hrough by hand. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone - a handsaw and simple jig sounds a possibility. On 2nd tho= ughts I haven't got one long enough. The old chainsaw's big enough, but it = would eat much of the insulation up, tearing big chunks out of it.

I do have a long broken bandsaw blade, just cant think how to maintain tens= ion on it (its thin in both dimensions). Perhaps if I sawed with the insula= tion sheets stood up on their side, and the bottom end of the blade weighte= d, but I'm not convinced it would work. Which brings me full circle to wond= ering how to use a whole bandsaw blade... I don't know.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

the amount of 1" for a job, and no, 2" won't do. Before going out and spending money, is there any practical way to slit 2" 2' wide boards down to 1"?

knotted wire running round them, and it taking all day to feed a board through by hand. Any ideas?

thoughts I haven't got one long enough. The old chainsaw's big enough, but it would eat much of the insulation up, tearing big chunks out of it.

on it (its thin in both dimensions). Perhaps if I sawed with the insulation sheets stood up on their side, and the bottom end of the blade weighted, but I'm not convinced it would work. Which brings me full circle to wondering how to use a whole bandsaw blade... I don't know.

Sheet of ply, two one inch strips at the edges, bandsaw stretched across and tensioned with a clamp or two. Push the sheet through with a sawing motion.

Reply to
dennis

In message , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

Fix the blade and move the work?