Cutting Gas Bill but now damp smell

Small terraced house where the south facing kitchen and living room have been knocked into one space, leaving one front room separated by a closing door.

To cut down on the horrendous gas heating bills, we have taken to not much using the front room, keeping the door shut, and turning down the radiator.

SWMBO is now complaining that the front room smells of damp.

What might possibly be the most effective and least expensive (i.e. not simply blasting the radiators on) of curing this issue?

Would leaving the door ajar with a front room window just open a fraction help cure it in the longer term? Grateful for any thoughts, thanks.

Reply to
j t brooks

Try turning up the radiator a bit. The trouble is that cold air doesn't hold as much moisture as warm air. If the room is too cold, it is likely to be damp. Are the windows double glazed? if not try doing so with cling film. It will help to stop heat loss to the outside. I'm assuming you don't want to close the curtains 24/7. Opening a window will simply allow any heat in the room to find its way outside and probbly make the problem worse.

Reply to
charles

The best way is to tackle the damp at source. Ie cooker hood, extract fan in shower/bathroom.

Reply to
harryagain

since the main source is the people in the house that is obviously the way to go

Shoot your wife.

It will save on all your bills.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How big is "horrendous"? Energy here costs around £5,000/year split roughly 50:50 oil:electric (no mains gas)...

How far have you turned the radiator down? If you go much below 15 C room temp damp will start to be a problem. Shutting the door won't help either a bit of ventilation is required. Start with keeping the door a jar for a week and see if it helps. Wouldn't open the window.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Actually, if the room was well insulated there should not be too much extra cost in heating it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Certainly will, AFAIK you don't pay ant rent to HMG when detained at Her Pleasure. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I recently bought a dehumidifier to dry out some plaster. Aside from doing that job well, it did leave the room feeling noticeably more comfortable. A dry cold maybe ;-)

Even now the plaster's dry it seems able to collect a few litres a day.

Reply to
RJH

I would put that down as pretty bad but I expect that's a mansion.

Reply to
dennis

that is bad. think I am about £1000 leccy/£2000 oil and a couple of hundred wood.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Low radiator setting, door ajar, keep windows *closed*, leave curtains closed?

Reply to
newshound

Get a dehumidifier!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Treats the symptom not the cause. Not to mention consumes electricity, say 2 units/day, 30p/day, £100/year. Cheaper to keep the door open...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice