Cutting disc for aluminium

I've got a 4/12" angle grinder mounted on a stand and would like to use it as a cutoff saw for aluminium rod. What would be the best cutting disc to use? A diamond one appeals due to it being thinner so less waste.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Aluminium is a nasty, sticky material. I always use a circular slitting saw, lubricated with beeswax, to cut it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yes - hence the question. I've got a spare basic really wood cutoff saw that cost not a lot at B&Q - could I use that, and where would I get a suitable blade? Or could I get the correct blade to fit the angle grinder?

I need to create 32 wedge shaped washers and would like a more accurate (and easy) way than my hack sawing. Perhaps I need some tips from dribble.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"nightjar .uk.com>"

What he said or you can use paraffin for lubricant

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Dave.. We used to use a circular saw to cut ally tubing many years ago to make TV aerials with and it, with a fairly fine cut blade worked fine. Plenty of lube we used to use paraffin..

Been using a woodbit in a router to put a nice "milled" edge on some, ally recently and provided its lubed well and not too fast makes a fine cut indeed)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Any fine tooth HSS blade, preferably without tooth offset, ought to do the job. I wouldn't want to try it with an angle grinder though.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Beeswax stays on the saw longer if you don't have the facilities to flood the cut with lubricant. The main problem is finding an ironmonger who still stocks it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

You can buy specifically designed non-ferrous metal cutting saw blades such as

as well go for carbide teeth given how cheap they are. You'll probably find that whatever blade you have in there anyway will cut aluminium reasonably well. Might as well try it first anyway. My mate had to cut some aluminium channel a while back as part of an office refit and his fancy woodworking mitre saw made short work of it with the wood blade it came with. An old glass cleaner spray bottle with some paraffin in it is ideal for lubricating the cut. I'd definitely go for the blade rather than an abrasive disk for ally. Those are more suited to ferrous metals.

Reply to
Dave Baker