Cutting Corrugated plastic roof material

Hi,

I need to repair the Corrugated plastic roof on an outside lean-to.

The old roof is old and very brittle (One good jump and I think the cat will go straight through the roof). Anyway, I need to buy some new corrugated plastic , but can't work out how to cut the new material so that it doesn't shatter and splinter. Any ideas?

thanks for any help

regards

Davy

Reply to
davy

Use a fine cut handsaw. Support both sides of the cut edge. Don't buy the thinnest roofing plastic you can get

Reply to
O.B.

Use a fine cut handsaw. Support both sides of the cut edge. Don't buy the thinnest roofing plastic you can get

Reply to
O.B.

Yup. Worked for me.

Don't bother with jigsaws etc, unfortunately these don't work very well.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Angle grinder; seriously.

Reply to
Aidan

I considered this after the fact.

As I have done drains/downpipes with grinders ... does it work well? What blade type is best?

Cheers,

Alex

Reply to
AlexW

A thin metal cutting blade.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think so; it won't 'grab' the material and bend or crack it. It shreds it into fine swarf, Some of the swarf melts and sticks to the sheet along the edges of the cut, but comes away easily.

I just used whatever was in the grinder. I think it was a masonry disc last time, but I don't think it matters much.

Reply to
Aidan

What I found worked very well was a Dremel (actually a cheapo lookalike) with one of those tiny little 1/2" diameter saws in it.

Reply to
usenet