cutting concrete roof slab

Right, hiring a petrol 300mm stihl saw from Jewsons, 38 quid for a weekend, diamond blade charge 19 quid per half-mm. Does that sound reasonable ? I have to cut though 80mm concrete slab, total cut length max 10 metres I would guess. But - how much will the disk wear ? I mean, it depends on the disk qualilty. Can anyone give me a vague idea ? Also, any techniques to reduce wear on the disk ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

What about buying something like the top of the page here ?

sm_jamieson

Buy the dewalt 9 inch leccie jobbe from screwfix, with a blade, all in for under 125. I would not be without mine. The dimaond disk cuts a shed load of stuff, but find one that will cut embeded steel - some don't.

I would guess with your cutting an 19 quid per 1/2 mm, you will be better to buy your own disk, and am basing this on my guess that your concrete has steel mesh in it.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Well, I've done it now. I hired a stihl saw (actually a Partner K650) and used the blades I posted about. I cut the roof slab with 5 cuts and levered up the strips and slid them off the roof down a timber ramp with the help of 2 friends. The slab was propped using timber props I made. The concrete was actually quite lightweight with some thin reinforcing steel that I didn't end up cutting through. Wear on the disk was quite slight. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson