Cutting close to brickwork

Hi people. I want to cut off the protruding part of an old wooden cill (in completely the wrong place now!), so that it's flush with the brickwork below it. Although it's a cill, there's no void above it (as there would be if I had just removed the window), so I'll be cutting close to the wall above and there's a cement fillet (about an inch) over a protruding DPC beneath it, so I need some way to cut vertically downward, just through the timber. I had thought of buying a Fein (or clone) but would this cut through around 2 inches of wood (getting on for 6 feet long as well, so a lot of plunges) or just make a pig's ear of what's left behind? If there aren't any suggestions, I may have to resort something like a hammer and chisel (perhaps a wood chisel in an SDS drill?). It's very nearly a job for the angle grinder, but I don't think it would make a very good job on wood, somehow, and though I'm tempted to put a circular saw blade on it, something tells me that's not a bright idea(!)

Any bright ideas out there? Cheers

Reply to
GMM

You want something that's easy, fast and disposable because cutting close to brick won't do any favours to the saw. A Fein or Bosch doesn't have the depth of cut and using a plunge blade will get very boring. I'd recommend using a pull saw which will go through 2inches of timber faster than you can imagine. At the end of it the saw will be knackered but you can just throw it away.

£5.87.

or

£13.25.

THe higher price of the second one may be off-putting. However the long handle and flexible blade means that it's easier to cut close up to a surface without removing your knuckles. A flexible pull saw blade will cut true even when curved through 30-45 degrees.

The design of the teeth means that the saws cut much faster than traditional hand saws.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yeah, I think I'd be tempted to go that route myself, and take the wood back down below the surrounding surface and then fill with something afterwards level with the brickwork.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Sounds like another possiblity may be a planer, if that works with whatever you've got underneath.

NT

Reply to
NT