Cutting block pavers with a diamond disc in a chop saw

I posted a few weeks back about cutting the kerb pavers with a block cutter and one reply mentions using a diamond disc in a chop saw. I went to my local tool shop and they frowned upon cutting aggregates in a chop saw as the dust knackers the motors ( using air cooling). Now I did see a saw on one site that had a water apray sysetm but I can't remember where. Now this one does say that it will cut aggregates.

have any recommendations for a saw.I could hire a brick cutter but I tend to do diy jobs at my leasure so wouldneed to hire one on 2 or 3 occasions. I woul rather buy a reasonable pricedsaw and then keep it for other jobs.Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

have any recommendations for a saw.I could hire a brick cutter but I tend to do diy jobs at my leasure so wouldneed to hire one on 2 or 3 occasions. I woul rather buy a reasonable pricedsaw and then keep it for other jobs.Kevin

I think a saw runs at half the speed of a grinder. What difference that makes in practice I don't know

Reply to
Stuart Noble

As does an angle grinder more commonly used for this task.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This came up in my original post. My cutting with a 9" angle grinder isn't very straight. It isn't the blocks so much as the kerb pieces. I have a situation from my garage along a boundary and a kerb block will be too wide so I need to cut 1 or 2 inches off the width, otherwise the garage door wont open fully.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

Just that the brick cutter would give a nice straight cut.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

Pretty expensive. Couldn't you just use an angle grinder stand?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If it came to a brick cutter I would hire it. I could just about justify buying a chop saw on the basis of using it for other jobs. I have never heard of an angle grinder stand so I will investigate.

Reply to
Zen83237

You can get stands for angle grinders so they work rather like a chop saw.

But a cheap chop saw - being more common - might not cost anymore.

In case it wasn't clear, I'm not sure 'they' take more precautions against dust getting into an angle grinder than a chop saw. None of the ones I've seen use filters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did think that the retailer was may be being a bit over cautious. May be they got stung once too opten with returned boken chop saw.

Reply to
Zen83237

saw (no pun intended) a demo of the hand held version once
?ts=99958Very impressive it was too. Much less dust than an angle grider as it seemed to 'cut' rather than 'abrade' IYSWIM.

They only cut stone with a diamond blade though - which is £48 extra.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

?ts=99958> Very impressive it was too. Much less dust than an angle grider as it

Would be down to the type of blade, I'd guess.

I have a diamond blade for my angle grinder. Cost more than the machine. ;-)

I've used a plasplugs tile cutter to cut paving slabs - slow but gives a beautiful edge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

?ts=99958>>> Very impressive it was too. Much less dust than an angle grider as

Aldi do them every now & then - really cheap & very good.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I got the 9" angle grinder from Lidl - but have never seen that size diamond discs there. So went to Screwfix. It was for a particular job and paid for itself. Nearest Aldi is a 90 minute round trip away.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)