Cutting acrylic mirror material - update ...

So, my A5 sized piece arrived, and I marked up the oddball shape that I needed for the first piece. On the basis of 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' and that I had more material than I needed, I attacked it with the electric fretsaw. To my amazement, it went through it like a hot knife through butter. I kept it fairly slow - probably about 1 mm per second, and although you could smell the cut, there was absolutely no blade clogging or melting of the swarf at all. Nice finish on the edge. When I cut the next piece, I might even put a new blade in, if I can find them ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It's extremely easy and nice stuff to work with. As you've said just keep tool speeds slow to avoid melting it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I laser cut this stuff. I get through 8x4 sheets of it. Cuts pretty nicely. I also have to rip the sheets down beforehand

If you're jigsawing, it tends to hot-melt itself back together again after sawing and the sheets are also brittle.

  • Well-balanced low-vibration jigsaw (Bosch blue barrel body)
  • Sharp blades to reduce heat generation
  • Moderate pendulum action to clear swarf and avoid re-welding
  • Good support beneath to avoid cracking
Reply to
Andy Dingley