cutting a tyre up for disposal

Hi

I'm helping an elderly neighbour clear up the mess in the end of his back garden, & we found someone has, sometime in the past few years, dumped a car tyre there.

What's necessary to cut it in half to fit it in his wheelie bin? Could I do it in a half-hour with a hacksaw? Jigsaw? Or would we need to borrow an angle grinder?

thanks

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

No need to cut it up.

If he lives on a hill you could wait until dark and then let it go down the road.

Any canals nearby?

Use it as a fire surround for the garden bonfire.

Put it on eBay or Freecycle (tyre suitable for tyre swing).

If you've got a tree make a tyre swing (no need for kids; just get drunk at a time when A & E is quiet)

Put it at the back of the garage if you have a female partner who drives.

Get another tyre and tie them to the gateposts if you have a female partner who drives.

Put it outside the property and write to the local paper to complain about the fact that the council doesn't clear up after fly tippers.

Paint it white to make a very kitsch planter.

Paint it red white and blue to make a planter suitable for if the queen is driven past the house.

Get some more and half bury them, upright, to make a croquet pitch.

Half bury them, upright, in a row, in the lawn. Paint the lawn blue. Take an out-of-focus photograph and start a Lock Ness Monster hoax.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Hi

I'm helping an elderly neighbour clear up the mess in the end of his back garden, & we found someone has, sometime in the past few years, dumped a car tyre there.

What's necessary to cut it in half to fit it in his wheelie bin? Could I do it in a half-hour with a hacksaw? Jigsaw? Or would we need to borrow an angle grinder?

thanks

Reply to
Fritz Wuehler

Another idea to make your yard real purty:

(The tread part may have steel wire in it. Angle grinder, I'd say, though clouds of burning rubber dust may ensue).

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I thought the idea was to put them around speed cameras and set fire to them? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And it don't arf pong as well. Is there no council tip where you can take it? Not all councils take kindly to stuff like that in the land fill bin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Does it still have a wheel in it?

If so, you'll struggle to chop it in half. If not, upcycle it into a planter for the garden.

Or just take it to the tip, whole.

Reply to
Adrian

Advertise it in the Botswana Gazette as a partly worn necklace?

Reply to
Bod

Get some more and make a potato planter.

Take it to the tyre fitters and pay the disposal charge?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Jigsaw with a metal blade is probably the best bet.

Not an angle grinder - the rubber will melt, stick and clag the blade.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I suspect that you would not be allowed to put tyres in your wheelie bin. Obviously, you might get away with it but, in similar circumstances, I'd take it to our local recycling centre next time I go.

Reply to
polygonum

Tim Watts wrote in news:65hjjb-0e6.ln1 @squidward.dionic.net:

Would a pair of tin-snips do it?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Might - but you have to cut through bundles of steel wires as well.

Reply to
Tim Watts

There is a technique, of cutting and twisting inside out to make a very durable garden planter, paint white or whatever, they don't look like tyres at all.

Reply to
N_Cook

Bastard. Rope is bad enough around the prop, A tyre, with steels in the tread and bead...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Adrian writes

Ours say, "we are unable to accept vehicle tyres as we do not have the appropriate waste handling licence" (they lied).

An alternative might be a speed camera petrol reservoir.

Reply to
fred

In message , Phil L writes

Ors doesn't have one, in fact it specifically says car tyres not accepte on their website

Reply to
Chris French

On 15 Nov 2014, N_Cook grunted:

Funnily enough, there's a guy called Fritz here who has exactly the same problem as you - maybe you should hook up with him and work out a solution?

Yep - here you go: I took this pic on holiday in Thailand about 15 years ago: in this village they used them as dustbins:

I'd never seen or heard of it before and was fascinated - hence the photo!

Reply to
Lobster

Same at ours. ISTR the tyre dealer scrapping charge is around a fiver.

Reply to
newshound