cutting a hole in a single pain glass door

can any one tell me if possible how to cut a hole in single pain glass for this is needed for a catflap hope you can help

Reply to
c3p0

If it is ordinary window glass then yes, see below. If it is a door or a window at floor level then probably not since the glass should be tempered.

You can cut in situ using a compass glass cutter and a lot of care. However, here's the easy way. Measure the glass as you would for replacing the pane. Measure the position you want the flap, bearing in mind that there are limits as to how near the edge a hole can be, practical limits dependent on the glass cutter's patience and skill. Then go to a glass seller and get a piece of glass cut with a hole cut in it. Replace the one at home with this and set the old pane aside in case you move out or want to get rid of the flap. This is a better way because you are buying a pane of glass with a hole, if the cutter screws up it's their problem and they start again. If you or they cut a hole in situ and the glass breaks you'll have to buy a new pane anyhow.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

I have visions of the cat getting used to its cat flap, then one day being chased by the neighbourhood cat chasing device (dog), coming round the corner towards the glass door at 90mph, to be met by a sheet of glass where the owner has decided to put back the original glass.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

:-)

In the house I now live in there is a pre-existing cat flap which is good as we have cats. Because the previous occupants didn't want to put a flap through the front door or in any windows (all double/triple glazed) they put a tunnel through the wall. There's a flap on the inside and an open exit to a stone shelter on the outside. Very elaborate.

But, the only sensible place they could find to put it was in the utility room/downstairs toilet...right next to the toilet. We have to warn guests so that they don't, erm, crap themselves if they are sitting there and a cat hurtles in past their legs!

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

Happened to our cat anyway. The door catch moved slightly and partially locked the flap (on one side). Cat chased by dog, came through flap anyway...flap door hit wall on far side of room.

New (cat flap) door required but posted first class from spare parts division of cat flap manufacturer...designed to be easily replaceable.

Reply to
Bob Eager