Cutting a carpet in two?

I've just ordered a carpet from CarpetRight for my landing/staircase/hall and, having spoken to my intended fitter, would like the carpet width to be cut in two as not only will this mean I can collect the carpet myself but it will also save having to do this in the potentially awkard-bugger shape of a hallway. Unfortunately, CarpetRight have said they are unable to do this for me however they will allow use of their massive warehouse/backroom if me or my fitter wish to lay it out and chop it on collection.

The fitter is unable to collect the carpet and so this leaves me with two options - pay to get it delivered (and the fitter will chop it in the hall) or I go to CarpetRight, chop it in two, and bring it home myself.

If I chose the latter option can anyone offer any suggestions/tips for making a 'easy' decent, accurate cut whilst ensuring I don't ruin the whole lot before it's even left the shop?

You might be wondering why I'm going with this fitter if he's not able to collect the carpet for me however he's a semi-retired 'old boy' who's fitted carpets his whole life (indeed he's done all the carpets in my life too!) - his skill is what I'm after and the fact that he's no longer got a van, or takes a whole day on the job, matters little.

Incidentally, the fitter has said he'd be able to cut it in the hall if need be - it'd just be tricky and would of course mean I'll have to fork out CarpetRight's delivery charge (which I admit to having not checked the scale of).

Regards,

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

fitter

carpets

little.

Why not take him with you ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Tape measure, chalk line, Stanley knife. Just make sure you get it right!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's all extra time for him and I'd expect to pay extra for that...

Hmm... am I getting tight in my old age?! I'm sure before my last birthday (30) money and myself parted easier than this... Perhaps it's too much uk.d-i-y influence? ;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Bunging him a tenner to come down with you to cut on collection might still save you money over the carpetright delivery charge.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Carpet right is =A320 delivery charge. Just make sure you double check the measurements otherwise you be duked.

Reply to
htmark98

Pay carpetright for the delivery saves you the hassle of unrolling and figuring out where and how much to cut. Let the intended fitter do the buisness, you know it makes sense.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

How much spare have you got? In other words, how accurate does the cut have to be to make sure that both bits will still fit? [Remember, rooms corners are not always accurate right-angles!]

If you've got enough spare that you can afford to be an inch or two out, you can probably manage to cut it. Cut it from the back with a very sharp Stanley knife.

Reply to
Set Square

If it has a fabric backing, you could try the trick of pulling one thread out to create a line you can follow. It works for cutting woven fabrics accurately, but I've never tried it on carpet backing.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... I think I'll go with paying for the delivery and we;ll cut in situ. Life's probably too short for trying to save money in everything I do...[1]

Furthermore, if the fitter botches the cut then he can't blame it on anyone else!

Cheers,

Mathew

[1] Although I might just measure my mate's estate car to see if I can at least collect .... ;-)
Reply to
Mathew Newton

Knowing my luck I can picture the scene...

CarpetRight: So let me get this right son, you've pulled a thread that's trailed in a random pattern across the entire carpet? Me : Err, yeah.. CarpetRight: Who told you to do that? Me: Man on the Internet...

;-)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

In message , Mathew Newton writes

Maybe overkill, but I hire a Mercedes Sprinter van for a day, (or half a day if possible), for about £60 to collect carpets. If Carpetrights delivery is less than this, (and I'm sure it will be), it's probably worth paying.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In message , Mathew Newton writes

Compare his cost with Carpetrights cost?

How much are we talking about?

Reply to
Richard Faulkner